A touch of spring mildness in the air today. The crocuses and daffodils in Greenwich Park have survived the recent snow and frost. As have the mystery plants in my own garden. Too large to be crocuses, did not bloom when it was snowdrop season, wrong shape for daffodils or tulips or iris, possibly hyacinth though no sign of buds forming. Greenwich Park also has forsythia, quince and various mystery shrubs starting to bloom.
Recently saw the superb production of Don Carlos at the Giulgud. While Derek Jacobi made the show with his deliciously ambiguous delivery of lines that could have made the character a caricature, the supporting cast was splendid. Definitely a better role for him than Cadfael, where I thought he retained a slight air of menace not in keeping with the part (though maybe it was just my inability to see past the images of I, Cladius). Sets were a bare minimum with lighting used to good effect to change the location. Costume were primarily black and shades of grey. Not until the penultimate act was there a colour as bold as white or red. The best theatre I have seen in a long time (my friends and co-workers tend to prefer musicals and light comedy) or, as BBA put it, I have "finally seen some real theatre."
Entertaining sight of the weekend: large cattle trough, full of water, by a main street near Regent's Park. Quote for today: "If you can't clash in time with the music at least clash in time with the other dancers." Yes, I have survived Smiff practice for another week.
Current earworm: Babylon
No comments:
Post a Comment