A magnificent performance of Mozart's Requiem by the California Bach Society this afternoon at St. Gregory of Nyssa, an Episcopal church in San Francisco that looks like it owns its design equally to Ely Cathedral and the 1960's. The concert was really good...superb voices, period instruments, and a program without an interval so the piece retained more of the feel of service music. I've subscribed to their entire season for next year which looks very much to my taste: Pärt & Perotin's Mass for All Saints, Guerrero's Vespers for Christmas, Brahms' choral music, and Bach's Mass in G major.
In a moment of procrastination earlier this afternoon, I took an inventory of how many pages of history I hope to read prior to the start of the Oxford program this summer. 4,500 pages remaining! That's 85 pages per day, every day! So I better get cracking.
No comments:
Post a Comment