The London Report, Week One: Arrival and Orientation
So I am now a resident of the Holy Land, having glided smoothly through Immigration thanks to the visa stamp that complicated departure preparations o so much. I can't claim to be a resident of London, though, as I am holed up in a B&B in the western part of the city and lacking as yet a settled & official residence -- settled and official being defined as what the bank will accept on request for a replacement ATM card.
Just where in London is also problematic. The mailing address is Kensington, the cab driver who brought me here said the 'it is really closer to Chelsea', I walk to the Earl's Court tube station to get to work, and my window looks out over the Brompton Cemetery. Whichever it may be, I have have a place to stay, and a charming landlady who reminds me greatly of my late Aunt Helen, possibly due to the waves of white hair that crest somewhat below shoulder level.
Part of settling in is rebuilding my library. Such an important part that I was off to Waterstone's as soon as my bags were unpacked. I took along my colleague Samantha -- she has the basement flat in the same building -- and picked up 5-6 books each. Samantha figures that will hold her for about as many months. Me? I've already gone back for a second round.
The days have started threatening or actually raining but ended warm, clear and glorious. The Brompton Cemetery is a lovely place for an evening walk. An early evening walk. If you linger in the summer twilight, make sure the Metropolitan Police see you when they come to lock the gates. Jumping the fence around Hyde Park after hours is all very well and good but a twelve foot brick wall isn't my idea of a pleasant stroll.
The weekend included dinner in the Regent's Park rose garden, dancing at Cecil Sharp House, and making some guesses at areas that might be nice to live, relatively affordable and an uncomplicated commute to the office. The challenges for the week ahead are sorting out just how wild those guesses are, and laundry. Which will be the greater challenge?
No comments:
Post a Comment